24 Nov 2010

Loy Krathong


21st November
I paid for my training and accommodation, took my things to the room, and was invited to a friendly game of gambling. Unfortunately for some I don’t gamble for money so the game was changed to an open poker.
It was nice to be welcome as part of the “training community”. I even got a motorbike ride and a tour of the small town of the island of one of the guys here.  Not much on this island but few shops, a market, restaurants and a seven-eleven. I just love it so nice and quite, well except for the praying calls as the population of the island is 90% Muslim.
As mentioned before it was the day of Loy Krathong, a Buddhist festival. Part of the festival is getting a floating flower thingy with a candle and incense. We got our from the island’s festival area for 50 baht, all hand made by the local kids and the profit goes to the school. 

After slight problem transporting the floaters on the motorbike, they were pretty big and fragile; we made our way back to the hotel. Then it was time to cut some of our hair and nails, and add them to the flowers.
What made the biggest impression on me that night, was the feeling of being part of the family. The trainers, the students, everyone was taking part in lighting and floating the flowers into the sea. We even took many pictures as a group with the flowers.

The meaning of this float is that it is suppose to cleanse your soul as some sort of soul detox; a nice beginning for my one-month training.

No comments:

Post a Comment