24 Nov 2010

First training


22nd November
Not feeling like my soul had gone to transformation for the better and cleaner, I woke up 7.30 in the morning to get ready for my first training. I was a bit nervous, as I didn’t have any idea what to expect. They did tell me I don’t need to do morning runs since it is more important for me to learn the right technique first. 

First we did some stretching and a short warm-up and it was time fro shadow boxing. I got to learn the technique with the help of the trainer. The most important thing I learned that day was that muay thai is all about the step. You always need to step forward before punching or kicking or whatever. Believe me it’s much harder as it seems like.
Shadow boxing felt weird and stupid since I had no idea what I was supposed to do. Felt stupid punching air in front of a mirror. And the mirror makes me look fat.
During the training I started to feel dizzy, my body was clearly not used to training in the heat. All the sweating made me feel very weak. But I made it to the end and the trainer was nice enough not to push me too much on my first go.
 In the afternoon almost everyone left to Phuket to watch Chris fight, it was his first fight in Thailand, six previous in Ireland. Everyone left to support him and for a night out. Not much drinking happening on this Muslim island and with all the training. I decided not to go: I had just arrived and didn’t want to spend so much money for the trip, also didn’t feel like drinking.
Me and a Spanish/Australian couple with their daughter stayed on the island, waiting for the news from Chris’s fight. Mike the Australian did a training circuit for us in the afternoon, which we repeated next morning. That was our training since everyone was gone to Phuket.
Before the afternoon training I went for a short run, just to test how my body can manage with the heat. At first it was hard to breath but it got easier towards the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment